Friday, October 22, 2010

Another attempt to start posting more regularly. Again.

I've been back in school and swamped with the amount of work I have. All of my classes are science and math and it's both exhilarating and overwhelming jumping back in full time after being out of a classroom environment for 15 years. It's been 18 years since I took any mathematics, and unlike a great many subjects, that has been a use it or lose it subject for me. Other than basic math skills and some algebra and geometry, I haven't used any trig or calculus since the early or mid 90's. Let me just say, it isn't all coming back to me either.

Life has required some adjustments. I am definitely more stressed and I'm certain it makes me a less enjoyable person to be around for my wife. We have been working on our own version of the modern relationship. Less time together than before, but we communicate and it helps that my wife really is my best friend. I tend to forget about things like human contact and she really keeps me grounded. It isn't always an easy or pleasant job for her, I know, and I'm always a bit dumbstruck at how she really does make me a better person in concrete ways. I'm fortunate to have found a great woman who's intelligent, super hot and interested in genuine nerds. I still find myself humming that opening stanza to Once In A Lifetime,

You may find yourself living in a shotgun shack
You may find yourself in another part of the world
You may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile

You may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful wife
You may ask yourself: well... how did I get here?



I honestly don't know.

No comments: