Monday, October 12, 2009

U2 in Tampa

We went to the U2 concert on Friday in Tampa. [Insert superlatives here] awesome. My sister asked me how I thought it compared to the 2005 Vertigo tour, and, I must admit, not quite as good. I think there are several reasons for this, the most obvious being I personally like the album How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb better than No Line on the Horizon. The Vertigo tour was also my first U2 concert. There were some personal circumstances around then that intensified the experience as well, but regardless, I still enjoyed this concert. I like the concept of this 360 degree event, and as usual, the band doesn't just get up on stage and go through the motions. They play a wide range of songs from their 30+ year career and they play these songs with heart and energy. If you happen to be a U2 fan, I would enthusiastically recommend attending at least one concert if at all possible.

I'm not one to be amazed when someone tells me they aren't a fan as there is no accounting for personal taste. I'm not a big fan of Jazz. I like the rare song or two, have been to see a few Jazz musicians and enjoyed the shows, but just can't get into listening to it on my own except in rare instances. I acknowledge it has had a great influence, it just doesn't appeal much to me personally.

Anyway, that last bit was kind of apropos nothing. Here's a video of one their old songs they performed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

nice review of the show, I saw them in tampa back in 1997 at Houlihan's Stadium, (the old Tampa Bay Bucs stadium) - I really enjoyed the show back then, but I didn't get a chance to see them this time around, great band though

Music, Movies, Games & More